Cynthia Osborne, Ph.D. is Associate Dean for Academic Strategies and the Director of the Center for Health and Social Policy at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at The University of Texas at Austin. She is also Founder and Director of the Child and Family Research Partnership and its national Prenatal-to-Three Policy Impact Center at the LBJ School. Her teaching and research interests are in the areas of social policy, poverty and inequality, family and child wellbeing, and family demography.
Osborne is an appointed member of the National Academies of Sciences Committee to Reduce Child Poverty by Half in Ten Years. She also serves as the Chair of the Responsible Fatherhood working group for the Fatherhood Research and Practice Network (FRPN), a long-term project of the federal Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation. She is an elected member of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) Policy Council, the leadership team responsible for setting policy and strategy for the association. Osborne also directs The University of Texas at Austin’s institutional membership of SRCD’s University-Based Child Family Policy Consortium.
Osborne joined the faculty of the LBJ School of Public Affairs after completing a post-doctoral research fellowship at the Center for Research on Child Wellbeing at Princeton University. She holds a Ph.D. in Demography and Public Affairs from Princeton University, a Master in Public Policy from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and a Master of Arts in Education from Claremont Graduate University. Previously, she taught middle school in a low-income community in California.
In the News:
- Cynthia Osborne named Vice President of APPAM's governing board (LBJ School, 2/1/20)
- First-Ever Report Spotlights California, New Jersey, D.C. as Best in Nation for Creating Prenatal-to-3 Policies That Set Children Up to Excel in Early Education (The 74 Million, 9/15/20)
- Do One Better Podcast with Alberto Lidji: Interview with R. Cynthia Osborne (8/31/20)
- Pre-to-3: New 'data playground' a destination for info on young children (K12 Dive, 6/12/20)
- Pre-to-3: New center to track state policies on infants and toddlers (Education Dive, 8/9/19)
- New Policy Recommendations Aim To Reduce Child Poverty By Half, Within 10 Years (Texas Standard, 3/5/19)
- Day Care Center Safety Series: Tips for Parents Looking for a Good Day Care (Spectrum News, 1/20/19)
- The Assessor: An Interview with Dr. Cynthia Osborne (Texas Health Journal, October 2018)
- Cynthia Osborne named LBJ School Associate Dean for Academic Strategies (LBJ School of Public Affairs, 8/24/18)
- Pre-K, Early Learning Front Of Mind At Education Forum (49 minute mark) (Texas Public Radio, 3/6/18)
- D.C. offers amnesty to parents who are behind in child support (Washington Post, 9/7/17)
- Podcast: Abstinence Ed In Texas (KERA Think, 7/5/17)
- Interview: How America's Child Support System Failed to Keep Up with the Times (National Public Radio, 11/19/15)