LBJ professor and CHASP faculty associate, Dr. Jacqueline Angel, is the co-organizer of the annual International Conference on Aging of the Americas being held on September 14-16, 2016 and Principal Investigator of the NIH/NIA conference related grant.
Angel is a leading expert in policies impacting the aging population. Her research addresses the relationships linking family structures, inequality, and health across the life course, including a special focus on minority aging, the Hispanic population, and older Mexican-Americans.
The International Conference on Aging in the Americas (ICAA) brings together top researchers, speakers, and emerging scholars addressing key issues in aging, health, and policy in the Americas. ICAA is aimed at utilizing research to augment knowledge about dimensions of healthful aging for people of Hispanic and Latin American descent and fostering emerging scholars in the field as this topic rapidly develops as a major policy and national budget issue.
The 2016 conference is focusing on the influences of social and economic contexts on healthful aging in Latino communities across the U.S./Mexico border in cities and towns such as Harlingen, Texas, Las Cruces, New Mexico, San Diego, California, and Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Peter Ward, LBJ professor and C.B. Smith Sr. Centennial Chair in U.S.-Mexico Relations, is the keynote speaker at the conference dinner on September 14th speaking on “How Place and Space Matter: Intersections between Housing, Health and the Life Course Among Aging Latinos.”
The 2016 ICAA is being held at the UT San Antonio College downtown campus and simulcast at The University of Texas at Austin at the College of Liberal Arts facilities. Details below.
- International Conference on Aging in the Americas website
- 2016 ICAA Website and Agenda – UPDATE: photos from the event are now posted
- Live Stream simulcast at UT Austin – Wednesday, 9/14 – 7:30pm-10:00pm -CLA 1.302E, followed by an all day set of panels on Thursday, 9/15 – 8:00am-5:00pm in CLA 2.606, and ends on Friday, 9/16 8:00am-1:30 pm- CLA 1.302S
- Simulcast online
- more about Dr. Jacqueline Angel
- San Antonio Express News – Latinos enjoy longevity despite socioeconomic woes